While Henry Gehner's detailed records are lost to history, we can get an idea of his farm records from the 1880 census, which included 100 questions in the supplemental items for farmers to report on the production and value of their farm in the prior year (these numbers are in addition to the 6 Gehner kids on the farm in 1880).
Notice that the hired man was also Henry. I can't imagine how confusing this would be for Caroline yelling "Henry!" out the door and having three men respond.
|Henry Gehner||Age 49||Born in Germany|
|Henry Gehner (Jr.)||19||son||Illinois|
|Henry Henrik||33||Hired Man||Germany|
Henry Gehner Had a Farm... E I E I O.
- Acres Improved (tilled fields): 120
- Acres of pasture, meadow, orchard or vineyard: 7
- Woodland/Forest acres: 200
And on his farm he had some...
- Horses: 8
- Cows: 3 milk cows, 17 other
- With a moo moo here
- a total of 200 pounds of butter were made in 1879.
- 2 calves born
- 1 cow purchased
- 1 slaughtered.
- Sheep: 18 on hand 6/1/1880
- With a baa baa here
- 18 fleeces weighing 90 pounds
- 7 lambs in 1879
- 3 sheep slaughtered
- 2 killed by dogs
- Pigs: 43
- no details were asked for in terms of piglets or number slaughtered
- Chickens: 10
- producing 20 dozen eggs
And on his farm he grew some...
- Corn. 40 acres produced 1000 bushels
- Oats. 15 acres produced 300 bushels
- Wheat. 45 acres produced 900 bushels
- Potatoes. 1/4 acre produced 25 bushels
- Apples. 36 trees in a 1 acre orchard produced 5 bushels
And on his farm they made some...
- Molasses 35 gallons of sorghum molasses
And on his farm they cut some...
- Wood. 12 cords of wood (worth $30)
Henry Gehner had a farm. E I E I O.Total asset values:
- $6000 Land, buildings, fences
- $185 Machinery
- $965 Livestock
- Fence (repair & building) $30
- Paid labor: $145 (12 weeks)
Income from selling farm product:$1600
Illinois Non-Population Census Schedules. 1880 Census: Agriculture Schedules for Macoupin County.. www.familysearch.org Accessed 23 Feb 2014
Data for both Henry Gehner and his brother Casper's farm is found on image 167 of Macoupin County's 1880 agriculture schedule.